Wednesday, October 25, 2006

The Big D Part Two

So next in the story line is going out for dinner on Saturday night with Burnsy's parents, his cousins and their children.
We went to an authentic chinese restaurant. As we walk in, Burnsy's parents first then us following, we notice that Burnsy's parents know everyone in the restaurant. Burnsy then turns around and says to me... "Do you notice anything?"
So I look around and then Burnsy points out that the restaurant was basically divided into two parts the first part being closest to the door and then a special back room...the back room was basically like reserved seating. We get ushered through to the back room passing mostly white people. Thats right folks Jen and I were the only two white people in the reserved seating area when we got there. We all sit down at this big circular table waiting for Burnsy's cousins... they bring us tea (it was really yummy) and Burnsy asked for water for the three of us.(Jen, Burnsy and I) The waitress returns with the waters and cutlery for Jen and I. The funny part is that NO ONE asked them to bring us cutlery and they only brought it for the two of us.I couldn't beleive it. Burnsy found this especially funny.
From then on we ate...OH MY GOODNESS did we ever eat. The food was sooo good. There was this big lazy susan type thing in the middle of the table that the food was placed on and you just turned it to get the food you wanted. It was a lot of fun hanging out with the Chen family... Burnsy's cousins are moving and it was really neat to hear them talk about moving.
It was a unique experience for me especially because I am usually a pretty basic food eater. But I tried almost everything and loved most of what I tried. The end of the evening was with ginger ice cream and fortune cookies... which also proved funny. As the cookies are put on the table Burnsy turns to me and says "We never get those" so apparently having the "white chicks" at the table was profitable (if only in cookies) after all.
There are parts of the rest of saturday that need to be mentioned as well...Jen scaring the crap out of Chloe(Burnsy's cousins youngest daughter), Burnsy trying to figure out certain words in spanish, Burnsy's mom falling asleep in the car on the way home doing the head bob,sorting out the soap, watching music video's on Burnsy's Laptop,staying up and talking with Jen and Burnsy and sleeping in a very very comfy bed.
More to come with Burnsy and Jen's excellent adventures...stay tunned!!

Oh for Margie...Jen was wearing a black sweater, black leather coat and black shoes with jeans and a read scarf; Burnsy was wearing a yellow t-shirt and yellow shoes with greyish pants and a camouflage jacket and most of the day I was wearing a red tank, grey shirt and black sweater with jeans and my skater shoes but I changed and put on a white tank and green striped sweater for dinner. I am not sure what all of the waitress's names are but one of the nicest ones at the chinese place was Michelle... And the only time I really remember going pee was in the Caribou Coffee on the way down and at the Chen's house.

5 comments:

Kev Chen said...

This is so much fun to read about someone elses perspective on the same trip!! We need to do this again, yo!!

Kev Chen said...

BTW, she wasn't lying about the silverware and fortune cookies. I've been to that restaurant dozens of times, and never have they brought that stuff. I couldn't stop snickering to myself.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, Chloe was a bit scared of me. And by a bit I mean screamed at the top of her lungs!

Jaci said...

I want in on the next trip!

Waiting for installment 3.

Thank you again for everything Tash...looking forward to seeing you on Sat night too!

Kev Chen said...

Jaci, your RSVP has been duly noted and shall be reflected upon the next Detroit trip. Yatta!!